" BANCHORY-TERNAN, a parish, containing the small post-town of Banchory or Arbeadie, on the north border of Kincardineshire. It is bounded on the south by the parishes of Durris and Strachan; and on all other sides by Aberdeenshire. Its length is about 9 miles, and its breadth about the same. Its area is intersected by the Dee, and comprises about 5,090 acres on the south side of that river, and about 16,210 on the north. The range of Kerloack, 1,890 feet high, touches the southern frontier; a ridge about 1,000 feet high intervenes between it and the Dee; and the long isolated hill of Fare extends within the northern border."
The Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, Edinburgh: A Fullerton & Co
- Church Records
- Civil Registration
- Description and Travel
- Historical Geography
Monumental Inscriptions for the parish have been recorded in Pre-1855 Gravestone Inscriptions in Kincardineshire, edited by Alison Mitchell, Scottish Genealogy Society, 1986, ISBN 0 901061 29 8.
Old Parish Records for the parish of Banchory-Ternan  are located in New Register House, Edinburgh.
These have also been microfilmed by the LDS Church:
All records of Civil Registration are held at New Register House, Edinburgh. Microfilm copies of births, deaths and marriages for the years 1855 - 1875, 1881 and 1891 have been filmed by the LDS and can be ordered to any family history centre worldwide. Please check film numbers before ordering.
View photographs of Banchory-Ternan and the surrounding area.
- The transcription of the section for Banchory Ternan from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.
View maps of Banchory-Ternan.