"BANCHORY-TERNAN, a parish in the county of Kincardine, Scotland, 17 miles to the W. of Aberdeen. It is a station on the Deeside railway. It lies on both banks of the Dee, at the junction of the Aven with that river, and contains an area of 18,950 acres, including the village of Arbeadie. Part of the district is hilly, the elevation of the hill of Fare being 1,500 feet, and there are several small lakes. There is much pleasant scenery. The living, of the value of £288, is in the presbytery of Kincardine, and in the patronage of Sir T. Burnet, Bart. The Independents have a chapel here. Besides two ancient seats, Crathie Castle, near Ley's Loch, and the castle of Tilwhilly, there are several modern mansions, of which the chief are Inchmarle and Banchory Cottage. Fairs are held in February, March, June, July, August, and December. Banchory is a Gaelic word, signifying "opening between two hills.""
"ARBEADIE, a village in the parish of Banchory-Ternan, in the county of Kincardine, Scotland. It stands on the river Dee, 18 miles W.S.W. of Aberdeen, with which it is connected by the Deeside railway. It is an entirely modern village, having been built since 1805."
"RAEMOIR, a demesne in the parish of Banchory Ternan, county Kincardine, Scotland, 2 miles N.W. of Banchory, and 19 W. by S. of Aberdeen. It is situated near the confluence of the river Feugh with the Dee."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003