"Name. - The etymology of the name is sufficiently obvious, - Ben a hill, and holme a piece of low-lying level ground. This derivation suggests the idea of a diversified surface of hill and dale; and this is not undescriptive of the general aspect of the parish.
Extent, &c. - The length and breadth of the parish are nearly equal, as it extends about 3 miles from north to south, and the same distance from east to west: consequently it may contain about 9 square miles. It is bounded on the south-west, by the parish of St Cyrus; on the north-west, by that of Garvock; on the north-east, by that of Bervie; and on the south-east, by the German Ocean. The parish forms nearly a square, and is thus remarkably compact."
The New Statistical Account of Scotland, Vol XI Forfar-Kincardine
Monumental Inscriptions of the Parish Church of Benholm have been recorded in Pre-1855 Gravestone Inscriptions in Kincardineshire, edited by Alison Mitchell, Scottish Genealogy Society, 1986, ISBN 0 901061 29 8.
Old Parish Records for the parish of Benholm  are located in New Register House, Edinburgh.
These have also been microfilmed by the LDS:
All records of Civil Registration are held at New Register House, Edinburgh. Microfilm copies of births, deaths and marriages for the years 1855 - 1875, 1881 and 1891 have been filmed by the LDS and can be ordered to any family history centre worldwide. Please check film numbers before ordering.
- The transcription of the section for Benholm from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.