DRUMOAK, Kincardineshire[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"DRUMOAK, a parish partly in the county of Kincardine, but chiefly in that of Aberdeen, Scotland. It was formerly called Dalmaik, and is bounded by the parishes of Echt, Peterculter, Durris, and Banchory-Ternan. Its length eastward is 6 miles, with a breadth of about 2 miles. The surface rises to the height of 500 feet above the sea, on the summit of the hill of Drum. The loch of Drum occupies 84 acres. The soil is for the most part poor. The only mansions are Drum and Park. The tower of Drum, near the House of Drum, is very old and strong, and is supposed to have been built in the 12th century. The family of Irvine have held it for many generations. The Deeside railway passes through the parish. This parish is in the presbytery and synod of Aberdeen, and in the patronage of Irvine of Drum. The minister has a stipend of £158."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]