"The area of the parish is an irregular three-sided figure. The eastern side runs from Stonehaven, southward along the coast, to and inclusive of the fishing village of Crawton, a distance of about five miles. From Crawton, the boundary runs about five miles north-westward, in a zig-zag line, abutting first on the parish of Kinneff, and then on the parish of Glenbervie, passing with the latter over Carmount moor, to the summit of Carmount hill, and thence descending into Carron Water, at the base of that hill, where Dunnottar and Glenbervie are met by the parish of Fetteresso. On the northern side, the Carron, winding a course of about five miles, from where it leaves the territory of Glenbervie, till it enters the sea at Stonehaven, forms, with some small exceptions, the boundary with Fetteresso. According to a map of Kincardineshire, by Mr Francis Garden, in 1744, the parish contains 8156 "English acres," or nearly 13 square miles."
The New Statistical Account of Scotland, Vol XI Forfar-Kincardine
Monumental Inscriptions of the Parish Church of Dunnottar have been recorded in Pre-1855 Gravestone Inscriptions in Kincardineshire, edited by Alison Mitchell, Scottish Genealogy Society, 1986, ISBN 0 901061 29 8.
Old Parish Records for the parish of Dunnottar  are located in New Register House, Edinburgh.
These have also been microfilmed by the LDS:
All records of Civil Registration are held at New Register House, Edinburgh. Microfilm copies of births, deaths and marriages for the years 1855 - 1875, 1881 and 1891 have been filmed by the LDS Church and can be ordered to any family history centre worldwide. Please check film numbers before ordering.
- The transcription of the section for Dunnottar from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.