[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"EDZELL, a parish and postal village in the district of Forfar, counties Forfar and Kincardine, Scotland, 5 miles N. of Brechin. It is situated in the neighbourhood of the headwaters of North Esk, and is surrounded by Strachan, Fettercairn, Strickathrow, and Lochlee. The East water passes over part of the parish. Its length is 11 miles, its breadth 6. The surface is hilly in the N. and W. quarters, with a large proportion of heath. This parish is in the presbytery of Brechin and synod of Angus and Mearns, in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £158. The church was built in 1818. There are a Free church and two schools. The Kincardine portion of the parish is called New Desk, and belongs to the Gladstones of Fasque. All the remaining district is the property of Lord Panmure. The village formerly called Slateford has been greatly improved since 1839. Edzell Castle, a fine ruin, formerly belonged to the Lindsays of Glenesk. Auchmull and Innermask were two other small castles built in the 16th century. At Culindir and Dalbogg are Druidical remains. There is a woollen mill, and linen is manufactured. Salmon are taken in the rivers."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]