"FETTERCAIRN, a parish and post village in the county Kincardine, Scotland, 16 miles S.W. of Stonehaven, and 82 from Edinburgh. It extends for a considerable distance along the margin of the river North Esk, and the Lower Grampians rise on the N. border. There is much waste and woodland, but reclamation is rapidly going on. The arable laud is highly cultivated. This parish is in the presbytery of Fordoun, and synod of Angus and Mearns, in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £240. The church was built in 1804. There are a Free church, and an Episcopal chapel built by Sir John Gladstone, who also founded the almshouses and two schools. There are three private schools. Fettercairn House is the seat of Sir J. S. Forbes, the owner of the estate. It was formerly called Middleton, from the family of that name, who held it as early as the time of Alexander III., and to whom it gave the titles of Earl and Viscount Fettercairn. Burn House, erected by Lord Gordon in 1791, is a handsome seat in this parish. The village is situated on a small stream falling into the Esk. It is a burgh of barony, and takes its name from a pass (fetter) and a cairn which are in the vicinity. It contains gasworks, insurance offices, banks, a public library, and a distillery. A pillar stands in the village, supposed to have been the cross of the ancient town of Kincardine. An iron staple is seen embedded on one side, which is thought to have been used for fixing the jougs, an old Scottish implement of punishment. There are remains of a castle at Balbegno, where Kenneth III. was killed by Fenella. Ganachy Bridge, which crosses the Esk, is a striking object. Lime and freestone are plentiful, and porcelain clay is procured in places. The nearest railway station is at Marykirk."
"BALMAIN, a village in the parish of Fettercairn, in the county of Kincardine, Scotland, near Fettercairn."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003