"FETTERESSO, a parish in county Kincardine, Scotland. It is situated on the N. bank of the river Carron, lying exposed to the North Sea on the E. The parish contains Seatown and the post village of Muchals, with part of Stonehaven. These two last are stations on the Aberdeen railway. The surface, which is slightly undulated, consists largely of moorland. It is watered in the interior by the river Cowrie, and by one or two burns falling into the sea. This parish is in the presbytery of Fordoun, and synod of Angus and Mearns, in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £254. The church, which stands near Stonehaven, was built in 1813. There are an United Presbyterian church, an Episcopal chapel, and a chapel-of-ease in the parish; also two endowed, two parochial, and several day schools. In the village are a savings-bank and a dispensary. The principal seats are Fetteresso Castle, the ancient seat of the Keiths; Uric House, formerly of the Barclays; Rickarton House, and Muchals House. At King's Dyke is a Roman camp, supposed to have been that of Agricola, previous to the battle with Galgacus. At Kempstane Moor tumuli and Druidical remains are of frequent occurrence. There are remains of a chapel and an ancient burial-ground on the coast not far from Stonehaven, with the ruins of a residence of the ancient Thanes of Cowie. The salmon fishery is carried on, and granite is quarried for exportation."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)