"Boundaries - The parish of Fordoun is of a quadrangular form, and is bounded on the south-west, by Fettercairn; on the south and south-east, by the parishes of Marykirk, Laurencekirk, and Arbuthnott; on the north-east, by Glenbervie; and on the north-west, by Strachan, which it joins on the summit of the Grampians. The parish extends along the south side of the Grampians, and on the north side of the valley of Strathmore, or rather of that division of it familiarly known by the name of the 'How o' the Mearns', which comprehends the parishes of Fettercairn, Marykirk, Laurencekirk, and Fordoun."
The Statistical Account of Scotland The County of Kincardine
- Church Records
- Civil Registration
- Description and Travel
- Historical Geography
Monumental Inscriptions for the parish have been recorded in Pre-1855 Gravestone Inscriptions in Kincardineshire, edited by Alison Mitchell, Scottish Genealogy Society, 1986, ISBN 0 901061 29 8.
Old Parish Records for the parish of Fordoun  are located in New Register House, Edinburgh.
These have also been microfilmed by the LDS:
All records of Civil Registration are held at New Register House, Edinburgh. Microfilm copies of births, deaths and marriages for the years 1855 - 1875, 1881 and 1891 have been filmed by the LDS and can be ordered to any family history centre worldwide. Please check film numbers before ordering.
View photographs of Fordoun and the surrounding area.
- The transcription of the section for Fordoun from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.
View maps of Fordoun.