GARVOCK - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"GARVOCK, a parish in the county Kincardine, Scotland, 6 miles W. of Bervie. Laurencetown is its post town. It is situated near the rise of the Grampian hills, and is 8 miles long by 4 wide. The surface mounts up into considerable elevations on all its sides. The Hill of Garvock is the principal summit, and the Bervie Water the principal stream. About two-thirds of the parish are cultivated, and there is a small area of plantation. This parish is in the presbytery of Fordoun and synod of Angus and Mearns, in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £178. The church was built in 1778. Here are a parish and private schools, and a library. The whole of this parish is alleged to have been a hunting forest, and there are traces of a dyke called the Deer Dyke. There are Druidical remains on the Garvock Hill."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003