"KINNEFF AND CATTERLINE, an united parish in county Kincardine, Scotland. It is situated on the seacoast, to the S. of Dunnotar. It is bounded on the W. by Arbuthnot, and on the S. by Bervie, and extends from the water of Bervie to the northern point, about 5 miles along the coast, which is very bold and rocky. Two-thirds of the land is under tillage. This united parish was once joined to the parish of Bervie. It is in the presbytery of Fordoun, and synod of Angus and Mearns. The minister's stipend is £232, in the patronage of the crown. The parish church was erected in 1738. There is a Free church. Sandstone is quarried in the neighbourhood. Near the sea, and about 500 yards from the church, are the ruins of a castle, from which it is supposed the parish has taken its name. Tradition assigns it to Kenneth, a Scottish monarch. In the manse, or pulpit of the parish church, the regalia of Scotland was hid during the siege of Dunnotar Castle, in 1652. Kingorney, where Bruce landed in 1341, was the property of the celebrated Dr. John Arbuthnot, physician to Queen Anne, and intimate friend of Pope and Swift. Through this parish the road between Aberdeen and Montrose runs. It is a coastguard station."
"CATTERLINE, a joint parish with Kinneff, in the county of Kincardine, Scotland. The village of the same name is about 5 miles to the N.E. of Bervie. There is an Episcopalian chapel."
"KATTERLINE, an ancient parish in county Kincardine, Scotland, now joined to Kinneff,"
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003