MARYKIRK, Kincardineshire[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"MARYKIRK, (or Aberluthnott), a parish in the county Kincardine, Scotland, 3 miles S.W. of Laurencekirk, by the Scottish North-Eastern railway, on which it is a station. It is situated on the N. bank of the North Esk, at the extremity of the How or Hollow of the Mearns, and includes the villages of Luthermuir and Marykirk. It is bounded by Garvock and St. Cyrus on the E., Laurencekirk on the N., and Fettercairn on the W. It is 4 miles in length by between 3 and 4 in breadth, and has an area of 9,600 acres. The surface is level, and the soil, though various, is chiefly fertile, and well cultivated. Sandstone abounds and is extensively quarried, and in some parts various kinds of trap occur. The parish is in the presbytery of Fordoun and synod of Angus and Mearns. The minister's stipend is £246. The par, church is a modern structure. In the district there are the following places of worship:-a Free church, an United Presbyterian church, a Baptist chapel, and a Congregational chapel. There are five non-parochial schools. The ancient name of the parish was Aberluthnott, and it was given by Cardinal Beaton in 1540 to Barclay of Mathers. The parish contains several corn-mills, five saw-mills, a flax-mill, and a spinning-mill. Hand-loom linen-weaving employs a good number of the inhabitants. Balmachewan, Hatton, Inglismaldie, Kirktonhill, and Thornton Castle, are the principal seats. There are Druidical remains at Hospital, Balmakillie, &c. It is said that a battle was fought between the English and Scots at Inglisburn. The parish is intersected by the Aberdeen railway."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Church Records
- Civil Registration
- Description and Travel
- Historical Geography
Monumental Inscriptions for the parish have been recorded in Pre-1855 Gravestone Inscriptions in Kincardineshire, edited by Alison Mitchell, Scottish Genealogy Society, 1986, ISBN 0 901061 29 8.
Old Parish Records for the parish of Marykirk  are located in New Register House, Edinburgh.
These have also been microfilmed by the LDS:
All records of Civil Registration are held at New Register House, Edinburgh. Microfilm copies of births, deaths and marriages for the years 1855 - 1875, 1881 and 1891 have been filmed by the LDS and can be ordered to any family history centre worldwide. Please check film numbers before ordering.
View photographs of Marykirk and the surrounding area.
- The transcription of the section for Marykirk from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.
View maps of Marykirk.