"NIGG, a parish in the county of Kincardine, Scotland. It extends about 5 miles in length from N.E. to S.W., with an extreme breadth of 3. This parish, which is situated at the N.E. extremity of the shire, comprises the villages of Cove, Torry, Burnbank, and Charlston. The surface is of a hilly nature, that chain of mountains called the Grampians terminating at the German Ocean here. It is crossed by a ridge, 200 feet above sea-level, but which is arable for some distance from its base. On the summit of the ridge are two extensive cairns, which serve as landmarks. The surface is chiefly of a moory and mossy character. There are several granite quarries, which are worked to a great extent, above 4,000 tons being annually exported. The coast is rocky and bold, the cliffs rising along the E. shore from 60 to 80 feet. The N.E. point, called the Girdle Ness, is a remarkable promontory forming the S. side of the estuary of the Dee. There is a small bay, called the Bay of Nigg, at the head of which stands the parish church. The village of Nigg is about 1 mile S. of Aberdeen. It is situated on a peninsula, formed by the river Dee and Nigg Bay, under Girdleness Point. It formerly belonged to Arbroath Abbey, which had a cell at Abbot's Walls. In the villages of Cove and Torry the fisheries are prosecuted with success. There are both a ferry and a bridge over the river Dee at this point. This parish is in the presbytery and synod of Aberdeen, and in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £160. The parish church, erected in 1829, is a structure of granite, with a quadrangular tower. There are a parochial school, and three others. There is a holy well, called Downy Well, in the Bay of Nigg, much frequented by visitors from Aberdeen in the month of May. At Abbot's Walls have been found some silver medals struck in 1559, on the marriage of Queen Mary."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
- Church Records
- Civil Registration
- Description and Travel
- Historical Geography
Monumental Inscriptions for the parish have been recorded in Pre-1855 Gravestone Inscriptions in Kincardineshire, edited by Alison Mitchell, Scottish Genealogy Society, 1986, ISBN 0 901061 29 8.
Old Parish Records for the parish of Nigg  are located in New Register House, Edinburgh.
These have also been microfilmed by the LDS:
All records of Civil Registration are held at New Register House, Edinburgh. Microfilm copies of births, deaths and marriages for the years 1855 - 1875, 1881 and 1891 have been filmed by the LDS and can be ordered to any family history centre worldwide. Please check film numbers before ordering.
View photographs of Nigg and the surrounding area.
- The transcription of the section for Nigg from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.
View maps of Nigg.