"ST. CYRUS, (or Ecclescraig) a parish in the county of Kincardine, Scotland. It is bounded on the E. by the German Ocean, on the S. by the county of Forfar, and on the W. and N. by the parishes of Marykirk, Garvock, and Benholme. It is 5 miles in length, with a breadth of 3¾ miles. It contains the villages of St. Cyrus, Roadside, Burnside, Lochaide, Milton, Whitehill, and Tangleha. The surface consists of a number of hills, rising to the height of 500 or 600 feet, and separated from one another by romantic vales, the streams of which run into the sea or the North Esk, which forms the southern boundary. The coast-line is partly bold and rocky, and partly flat. The soil is various in quality, but that of the arable lands is for the most part rich. Sandstone is quarried. The principal landowners are Porteous of Laurieston, Fordyce of Woodston, Grant of Mount Cyrus, the Earl of Kintore, and others. The chief mansions are Laurieston, Mount Cyrus, Bridgeton, and Kirkside. The road from Montrose to Aberdeen traverses the parish, and there is easy access by the Scottish North-Eastern railway. The village of Cyrus is situated 5½ miles N. of Montrose. This parish is in the presbytery of Fordoun, and synod of Angus and Mearns, and in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £248. The parish church is a very handsome structure, built in 1854. There is also a Free church, with a large attendance."
"LAURIESTON, a village in the parish of St. Cyrus, county Kincardine, Scotland, 4 miles S.E. of Laurencekirk. In the grounds of Laurieston House are the remains of the Stratons' old castle, taken by the English in 1336."
"LOCHSIDE, a village in the parish of St. Cyrus, county Kincardine, Scotland, 4 miles S. of Laurencekirk."
"MILTON-OF-MATHERS, a village in the parish of St. Cyrus, county Kincardine, Scotland, 5 miles S.E. of Laurencekirk. It was formerly a place of some importance, but during the last half century has suffered from the encroachments of the sea. Its inhabitants are chiefly engaged in fishing. There is a mineral spring, formerly in great repute."
"ROADSIDE, a hamlet in the parish of St. Cyrus, county Kincardine, Scotland, 4 miles S.E. of Lawrencekirk. It is situated in the valley of the North Esk, near the coast."
"TANGLEHA, a village in the parish of St. Cyrus, county Kincardine, Scotland, 4 miles S. of Laurencekirk."
"WHITEHILL, a village in the parish of St. Cyrus, county Kincardine, Scotland, adjoining the vil, of Lochside."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003