"STRACHAN, a parish in the county of Kincardine, Scotland. It extends in length about 13 miles from N.E. to S.W., with an extreme breadth of 9 miles, and is bounded by the counties of Forfar and Aberdeen, also by the parishes of Banchory-Ternan, Durris, Glenbervie, Fordoun, and Fettercairn. It lies amongst the Grampians, and is of a mountainous character, the highest point being reached by Mount Battock, which rises 3,459 feet above sea-level. The northern part of the parish contains the whole of the arable land, which is of a fertile character, and watered by the river Dee and its tributaries, the Avon or Aven, Feugh, and Dye. The prevailing rocks are granite and clay slate. In the vicinity are three artificial mounds, also two stone cairns measuring about 300 feet in diameter and 30 in height. The village of Strachan is about 15 miles W. of Stonehaven, and 94 from Edinburgh. It is traversed by the road from Brechin to Inverness, and is within easy access of the Deeside railway at Banchory. This parish is in the presbytery of Kincardine O'Neil and synod of Aberdeen. The minister has a stipend of about £158. The parish church was erected in 1802, and was enlarged and restored in 1837. There are a Free church, parochial school and library, and three other schools. The fairs,- formerly held in May and November, have been abolished."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)