STRACHAN, Kincardineshire[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"STRACHAN, a parish in the county of Kincardine, Scotland. It extends in length about 13 miles from N.E. to S.W., with an extreme breadth of 9 miles, and is bounded by the counties of Forfar and Aberdeen, also by the parishes of Banchory-Ternan, Durris, Glenbervie, Fordoun, and Fettercairn. It lies amongst the Grampians, and is of a mountainous character, the highest point being reached by Mount Battock, which rises 3,459 feet above sea-level. The northern part of the parish contains the whole of the arable land, which is of a fertile character, and watered by the river Dee and its tributaries, the Avon or Aven, Feugh, and Dye. The prevailing rocks are granite and clay slate. In the vicinity are three artificial mounds, also two stone cairns measuring about 300 feet in diameter and 30 in height. The village of Strachan is about 15 miles W. of Stonehaven, and 94 from Edinburgh. It is traversed by the road from Brechin to Inverness, and is within easy access of the Deeside railway at Banchory. This parish is in the presbytery of Kincardine O'Neil and synod of Aberdeen. The minister has a stipend of about £158. The parish church was erected in 1802, and was enlarged and restored in 1837. There are a Free church, parochial school and library, and three other schools. The fairs,- formerly held in May and November, have been abolished."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Monumental Inscriptions for the parish have been recorded in Pre-1855 Gravestone Inscriptions in Kincardineshire, edited by Alison Mitchell, Scottish Genealogy Society, 1986, ISBN 0 901061 29 8.
Old Parish Records for the parish of Strachan  are located in New Register House, Edinburgh.
These have also been microfilmed by the LDS:
All records of Civil Registration are held at New Register House, Edinburgh. Microfilm copies of births, deaths and marriages for the years 1855 - 1875, 1881 and 1891 have been filmed by the LDS and can be ordered to any family history centre worldwide. Please check film numbers before ordering.