ANWOTH, Kirkcudbrightshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"ANWOTH, a parish in the stewartry and county of Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 7 miles to the N.W. of Kirkcudbright. It is situated on the eastern coast of Wigton bay, at the mouth of the small river Fleet, formerly called the Avon, and contains part of the village of Gatehouse-of-Fleet. The coast is generally flat, but rocky. The inland district is hilly; Cairnharrah which is partly in this parish, rising to the height of 1,100 feet. From its summit there is a commanding view of the adjacent country, the shire of Wigton, the Isle of Alan, the hills of Cumberland, and even of the high land of the coast of Ireland. The living, value £248, is in the presbytery of Kirkcudbright, and in the patronage of Sir D. Maxwell, Bart. The old church, now disused but carefully preserved, is very small, and was built in 1626. A new church was erected in 1827. Samuel Rutherford, the well known divine, was minister of this parish from 1627 to 1639. His name is held in high honour by the people, and a monument, in the form of an Egyptian obelisk, 56 feet in height, and composed of granite, has been raised to his memory, on Boreland Hill. There are remains of two feudal structures in Anwoth: the castle of Cardoness on a rock overlooking the bay, and the tower of Rusco. Cardoness, a modern mansion, is the seat of the Maxwells. There is a lead mine on the estate of Roscounty"

"GATEHOUSE-OF-FLEET, a post and market town, and a burgh of barony in the parishes of Anwoth and Girthon, county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 8 miles from Kirkcudbright, and 105 from Edinburgh. It is situated on the river Fleet, which is here spanned by a fine stone bridge. The town consists of well-built houses. It is one of the chief seats of trade in the district of Galloway, a subport to Dumfries, and a burgh of barony, chartered in 1796. The principal import trade is in coal and lime, the export in grain. Here are manufactories for cotton, soap, and bricks, a brewery, and a tanyard. In the town stand the parish church, Free and United Presbyterian churches, and an Episcopal chapel. The town likewise contains a branch bank, a savings bank, news-rooms, telegraph office, schools, and benefit societies. Gatehouse was founded in 1760; and is governed by a provost, 2 bailies, and 4 councillors. A justice of peace and small-debt court is held every month. Saturday is market day. A fair is hold on the first Monday in June (old style), and a cattle market on the first Friday in November and December."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)

[Last updated 11 Dec 2010 - 12:18 by Mel Lockie]