BORGUE, Kirkcudbrightshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"BORGUE, a parish and village in the county of Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 4 miles to the S.W. of Kirkcudbright. It is situated on the sea-coast, on a peninsula lying between Kirkcudbright Bay on the E., and Wigton Bay on the S.W., and consists of the ancient parishes of Borgue, Kirkandrews, and Sandwick. The parish also includes the villages of Kirkandrews and Chapelton, and the Island of Barloco, with some others. Along the coast, which is partly rocky, there are some good natural havens. Freestone and whinstone are abundant here. The chief landowners are the Earl of Selkirk, Sir W. Gordon, of Earlston, and a few others. The living, of the value of £231, is in the presbytery of Kirkcudbright, and in the patronage of the crown. There is also a Free church. Ruins of the ancient kirks of Sandwick and Kirkandrews still exist. The former once belonged to the monks of ions, and was afterwards given by William the Lion to Holyrood Abbey. Not far from the ruin is Frenchman's Rock, so called, it is said, from the circumstance of some French pirates, who were wrecked on it, carrying off the church plate. The parish is about 10 miles in length and 7 miles in breadth."
"CHAPELTON, a village in the parish of Borgue, in the county of Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 4 miles S.W. of Kirkcudbright."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use