Link to maps of Borgue

BORGUE, Kirkcudbrightshire

"Borgue, Senwick, and Kirkandrews were united about the year 1670. Borgue, or Borg, the general name of the united parishes, is derived from the Gaelic word burg, which signifies a little hill, and is certainly very descriptive either of the situation of the church, which is situated on a beautiful eminence in the middle of the parish, or of the general apperance of the district land...

The parish of Borgue presents in our county map, the figure of a triangle, of which the Solway forms the base; the parish of Girthon, with a small portion of the river Fleet, one of the bounding sides; and the parish of Twynholm, with three miles of the estuary of the Dee, the other boundary line....

Cattle are almost exclusively of the Galloway breed, and the greatest attention is paid by the farmers to have their stock pure, and of the most correct symmetry...

The proximity of a safe and commodious harbour, has induced one of our enterprising farmers to build two vessels of considerable size, for the exportation of grain and other produce; and for importing coals, lime, and such other articles as are wanted for home consumption...

Market Towns -- Gatehouse and Kirkcudbright are nearly at equal distance from Borgue..."

Rev. Samuel Smith, late Minister of the parish, New Statistical Account, Blackwood.

Click on the map at the right to access more maps of Borgue.



Bibliography

New Statistical Account of Scotland, 2nd Series, W. Blackwood, 1845.

Cemeteries

The Church Yards of Borgue, Kirkandrews, and Senwick has had pre-1855 monumental inscriptions transcribed and indexed. The index and transcribed inscriptions are included in a series of volumes that cover all of Kirkcudbrightshire. All three are in volume 1. Refer to the county page for additional details.

Church History

"The parish church is conveniently situated, as nearly as possible in the centre of the parish. It is seated to accommodate about 500 persons, and is remarkably well attended...

At the last dispensation (1840) of the Lord's Supper, the number of communicants, including a very few strangers, was 367,--considerably more than a third of the whole population. From this it may be seen that the number of persons belonging to other denominations is inconsiderable. Their relative numbers may be stated as follows: Established Church, 965; Baptists, 8; United Secession, 10; Roman Catholic, 12."

Rev. Samuel Smith, late Minister of the parish, New Statistical Account, Blackwood.

Church Records

Church of Scotland records are held at the General Register Office in Edinburgh. Copies of the pairsh register on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Refer to the county page for additional details.

Records Available Baptism Marriage Burial Reference
Church of Scotland 1742-1854 1741-1799
1816-1854
1765-1799
1816-1854
OPR 858
Free Church CH3 648

There are communion rolls for the Free Church from 1844 to 1851 and minutes of the church starting in 1842. (CH3 648).

Kirk Session Notes: The poor fund accounts start in 1758 and continue till 1794. Borgue kirk session minutes start in 1825 and continue till 1879. (CH2 713) Refer to the county page for additional details.

Gazetteers

Population

Year Persons
1755 697
1801 820
1821 947
1841 1117
1851 1043

Note: 1821 - increase due to progress of agriculture and temporary employment of several masons in errecting a lighthouse. 1841 - decrease explained by latter circumstances and partial emigration

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)

[Page created originally by Don Jaggi]
[Last major update 2 Aug 2004 by David Hawgood]
[Updated 12 Dec 2010 - 14:43 by Mel Lockie]
[Last updated Sun 17 Nov 2013 - 00:56 by Chris Willis]