BUITTLE, Kirkcudbrightshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"BUITTLE, a parish in the county of Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 4 miles to the 9.E. of Castle Douglas, which is a station on the Portpatrick railway. The parish is situated on the coast of the Solway Frith, on the E. side of the Urr Water, and contains the village and port of Palnackie. The land is fertile, and the inhabitants are engaged in agriculture and fishing. Buittle Castle, on the W. side of the Urr, is an extensive ruin, formerly belonging to the Baliols, Cummings, and Douglases, and now to Murray of Broughton. A vitrified fort crowns one of the hills. Rock crystal and talc are found in the district, and iron ore is abundant. The living, value £231, is in the presbytery of Kirkcudbright, and in the gift of the crown."
"PALNACHIE, a village in the parish of Buittle, county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 4 miles S.E. of Douglas Castle, of which place it is the port. It is situated on the river Urr, and, as a substitute for a harbour, has a temporary wooden wharf, which will accommodate 6 vessels. Its depth is about 18 feet water at spring tides. A considerable trade is carried on with the S.W. of England, and the Frith of Clyde ports."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use