[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"COLVEND, (and Southwick) a parish in the district and county of Kirkcudbright, Scotland. It is bounded on the S. by the Solway-Frith, on the W. by the Urr, and on the E. by Southwick Water. Its greatest length, from Thorter Fell on the N. to Castle Hill Old Fort on the S., is 9 miles, and its greatest breadth from E. to W. 7½ miles. The surface is hilly and chiefly pasture, and the sea-coast bold and rocky. To the E., however, at the mouth of the Southwick, the coast is fiat. The caverns and amphitheatres which occur along the coast are large fissures in the rocks, stretching back from the entrance in one instance to about 80 or 100 feet; in the largest of these natural caves is a shaft of some 16 feet deep, and 3 or 4 feet broad, which is said to have been sunk by miners in search of copper ore, of which there are many indications along the coast. There are five lakes in the western division. The chief landowners are M'Kenzie of Auchensheoch, Hilton of Fairgirth, Stewart of Southwick, and Oswald of Auchencruive. This parish is in the presbytery and synod of Dumfries, and in the patronage of the crown and the Duke of Buccleuch. The minister has a stipend of £235. The eastern division formerly composed the parish of Southwick. There is an United Presbyterian church at the eastern extremity of the parish."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]