[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"CROSSMICHAEL, a parish in the county of Kirkcudbright, Scotland. It contains the villages of Crossmichael and Clarebrand. It extends 5 miles in length, with a breadth of 4 miles, and is bounded on the N. by the parish of Parton, on the E. by the Urr, on the S. by Buittle and Kelton, and on the W. by Loch Ken and the Dee. The surface is fertile, rising into eminences between the two rivers, on the banks of which are extensive meadows. The parish is divided between twenty-eight proprietors. There are several Pictish and other ancient remains. A very perfect camp, oval in form, crowns a hill near Crossmichael church. The road from Castle Douglas to New Galloway traverses the parish. The village of Crossmichael is 4 miles N.W. of Castle Douglas, and is a station on the Glasgow, South-Western, and Portpatrick railway. This parish is in the presbytery of Kirkcudbright, synod of Galloway, and in the patronage of Mrs. Gauld. The stipend of the minister is £270. There is also an United Presbyterian church in the S. portion of the parish. A fair is held annually at Michaelmas."
"ERNGROZO, a loch in the parish of Crossmichael, county Kirkcudbright, Scotland. It contains two small islands, much frequented by sea-fowl."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]