"The parish of Crossmichael is situated about the middle of the stewartry of Kirkcudbright....
The length of the parish from north to south, is about four miles and a half, and its breadth about a mile less. On the west it is bounded by the Dee, which separates it from the parish of Balmaghie; on the north, by Parton; on the east, by the river Urr, which separates it from Kirkpatrick Durham, and Urr; and on the south, by the parishes of Buittle and Kelton....
....Along the banks of the Urr and the Dee, the land is very fertile; and in the other parts of the parish there are small, rich, and beautiful valleys. The general appearance of the parish, however, is hilly, and, up to not a very remote date, it may have been regarded as a district in a middle state between pastoral and agriculture.....
There are two villages in the parish, Crossmichael and Clarebrand...."
Rev. John Whitson, Minister, New Statistical Account, Blackwood.
Click on the map at the right to access more maps of Crossmichael.
- Church History
- Church Records
- Kirk Session Records See ChurchRecords
History, Kirkcudbright. The New Statistical Account of Scotland, 2nd Series, W Blackwood, 1845.
The Church Yard of Crossmichael has had pre 1855 monumental inscriptions transcribed and indexed. The index and transcribed inscriptions are included in a series of volumes that cover all of Kirkcudbrightshire. Crossmichael is in volume 2. Over 200 stones have been indexed. Refer to the county page for additional details.
"Our church is on the west side of the parish, about a mile from where it joins with Parton on the north....
...Two families belong to the Secession, five or six to the Cameronians, and three or four to the Catholic churches. A number have joined or are in the habit of frequently attending the Free Church in Castle Douglas...."
Rev. John Whitson, Minister, February 1844, New Statistical Account, Blackwood.
Church of Scotland records are held at the General Register Office in Edinburgh. Copies of the pairsh register on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Refer to the county page for additional details.
|Church of Scotland||1751-1854||1783-1854||1820-1832||OPR 863|
Kirk Session Notes: The Kirk Session records for the parish start in 1735, and continue to 1801. There are also some minutes from 1846 to 1849. (CH2 388) Refer to the county page for additional details.
- The transcription of the section for Crossmichael from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.