Link to maps of Dalry

DALRY, Kirkcudbrightshire

" The crops chiefly grown are barley, oats, turnips, potatoes, and some rye. In proportion to the extent of the parish, which is pastoral, the cultivated land is small, though increasing...

...Breeding and rearing of sheep and black-cattle are chiefly attended to...

...The fences are all made of stone, and the dikers and roadmakers are numerous. The farm houses have been generally renewed of late years, and chiefly slated. The climate is salubrious and snow soon disappears from the hills.

Along the Ken, which is the boundary between this parish and Kells on the west for six miles or more, there are oak trees of considerable size, besides a variety of other species of trees in belts and ornamental clumps. The principal river is the Ken, which takes its rise near the northern extemity of the parish, and, running south-west eight or nine miles, separates Dalry from Carsphairn, till it is joined by the Deugh...

...The Blackwater, and the rivulets of Earlston, Stronfreggan, and Lochinvarburn in the parish, are tributaries to the Ken; they all abound in trout, and salmon is frequently caught in the Ken...

From north to south, the parish is about 15 miles long, and, from east to west, about 7 broad. It is bounded on the west by Carsphairn and Kells; on the south, by Balmaclellan and Kells; on the east, by Glencairn, in the county of Dumfries; on the north, by New Cumnock in Ayrshire. It contains 26,172 Scottish, or 32,902 English acres."

Rev. George Paterson, Minister, New Statistical Account, Blackwood.

Click on the map at the right to access more maps of Dalry.



Bibliography

History, Kirkcudbright. The New Statistical Account of Scotland, 2nd Series, W Blackwood, 1845.

Cemeteries

The Church Yard of Dalry has had pre-1855 monumental inscriptions transcribed and indexed. The index and transcribed inscriptions are included in a series of volumes that cover all of Kirkcudbrightshire. Dalry is in volume 2. Refer to the county page for additional details.

Church History

"Six hundred of the population are attached to the Established Church, and about 110 to the Dissenters. The Rev. Alexander McGowan was minister of the parish for the period of 43 years, and died at the age of 81 in 1826."

Rev. George Paterson, Minister, New Statistical Account, Blackwood.

Church Records

Church of Scotland records are held at the General Register Office in Edinburgh. Copies of the pairsh register on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Refer to the county page for additional details.

Records Available Baptism Marriage Burial Reference
Church of Scotland 1691-1854 1758-1854 1758-1783, 1836-1854 OPR 865

Gazetteers

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)

[Page created originally by Don Jaggi]
[Last major update 23rd July 2003]
[Updated 12 Dec 2010 - 14:46 by Mel Lockie]
[Last updated Sun 17 Nov 2013 - 00:56 by Chris Willis]