KIRKCUDBRIGHTSHIRE - Extra-Parochial places, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"LINCLUDEN, an extra parochial place in county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 1 mile N. of Dumfries. Here are the remains of a Black nunnery founded by Uthred of Galloway in the reign of Malcolm IV., and subsequently converted into a college. At the Reformation it became the property of the Maxwells."

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)

[Last updated 12 Dec 2010 - 14:50 by Mel Lockie]