"GELSTON, a post village in the parish of Kelton, county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 2 miles S. of Castle-Douglas. Gelston Castle, erected by Sir William Douglas, stands in the neighbourhood. The ancient parish of Gelston is now incorporated with Kelton." Some traces remain of the old church, which was the property of Whithorn Priory, and afterwards belonged to the bishops of Galloway."
Click on the map at the right to access more maps of Gelston.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]