KELLS - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"KELLS, a parish in county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, contains the post town of New Galloway. It is 15 miles long by 4 broad, and is bounded by Dalry, Carsphairn, Balmaclellan, Parton, Balmagie, Minnigaff, and Girthon. The surface consists for the greater part of lofty upland and bleak moor, and forms the south-western district of the Glenkens. The river Ken traces the boundary on the E. and the Dee on the W., while numerous minor streams wend their way through the interior to join these rivers. Loch Harrow, Loch Minnick, and Loch Dungeon occur in the N., Loch Ken and some others in the interior and in the S. There are remains of an ancient forest in the parish, supposed to have been a royal hunting ground. In the N. and N.W. are the Rhinns of Kells, a granite range attaining an altitude of 1,300 feet. Among these hills is a rocking stone of some 10 tons in weight. The road from Kirkcudbright to Ayr follows the Ken Valley. This parish is in the presbytery of Kirkcudbright and synod of Galloway, in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £299. The church was erected in 1822. A portion of the ancient parish was detached in 1640 to go towards the formation of the parish of Carsphairn. Kenmure Castle is the seat of Viscount Kenmore; Glenlee that of Sir W. Miller. Moss Raploch was the scene of a victory gained over the English by Bruce. Here are ruins of Dindculk Castle. The lochs abound with trout and pike, and game is abundant. Lead and iron ores occur rather extensively, and copper exists, but not in sufficient quantities to be worked; slate is also quarried. Gordon, who wrote the "Independent Whig," and Robert Heron, another well-known author, were born in this parish."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use