[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"KELTON, a parish in county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, containing the post-office stations of Castle Douglas and Kelton Hill. It is 6 miles long by 3 broad, and is bounded by Crossmichael, Buittle, Kirkcudbright, and Balmaghie. The river Dee traces part of the W. boundary, and Castle Douglas Loch is within the parish. The surface towards the S. and S.E. is rather broken and rocky, but the greater part is pasture and fertile arable land. The road from Dumfries to Portpatrick traverses the interior. The parish is in the presbytery of Kirkcudbright and synod of Galloway, in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £253. The church, situated at Kelton Hill, was erected in 1806, and has been recently repaired. There are Free and Presbyterian churches at Castle Douglas. Here are three parish schools, besides two or three private establishments. The old parishes of Kelton, Gelston, and Kirkconnock constitute the present parish. The chief residences are Gelston Castle, Carlingwark House, and Daldawn. In this parish are two ancient encampments: Thora Circle and the Gelston Cairn. At Carlingwark Loch several ancient urns and other relics have been found."
"BEN GAIRN, one of the highest of a range of hills on the border of the parishes of Kelton and Rerwick, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland, about 1,200 feet in height."
"CASTLE DOUGLAS, a burgh of barony in the parish of Kelton, in the county of Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 20 miles to the S.W. of Dumfries. It is connected with the Glasgow and South-Western railway by a branch line from Dumfries. It was formerly called Causewayend, and afterwards Carlinwark, and is seated near the loch of that name. It contains two town-halls, a market hall, parish church, various chapels, four banks, a public library, and mechanics' institute. A market, chiefly for corn, is held on Monday, and there are large fairs in seven or eight months in the year. To the S.W. are the ruins of Thrieve Castle, a seat of the Douglases."
"GELSTON, a post village in the parish of Kelton, county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 2 miles S. of Castle-Douglas. Gelston Castle, erected by Sir William Douglas, stands in the neighbourhood. The ancient parish of Gelston is now incorporated with Kelton. Some traces remain of the old church, which was the property of Whithorn Priory, and afterwards belonged to the bishops of Galloway."
"KELTON-HILL, a post-office village in the parish of Kelton, county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 2½ miles S. of Castle-Douglas. It is known for the large horse fair which is annually held here."
"KIRKCORMACK, an ancient parish in county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, now joined to Kelton."
"RHONHOUSE, a hamlet in the parish of Kelton, county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 1 mile S.W. of Castle Douglas."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
The ancient parishes of Kirkcormack (otherwise Kirkconnock) and Gelston were united in Kelston by 1618. [Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae, Vol 2, Rev Huw Scott, DD, 1920.]