KIRKMABRECK, Kirkcudbrightshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"KIRKMABRECK, a parish in the county of Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 12 miles N.W. of Kirkcudbright. It is situated on the river Cree and Wigton Bay, and is intersected by the road between Portpatrick and Dumfries. Its length is 10 miles, and its greatest breadth 4½. Its surface consists for the most part of hilly sheep-walks. Here are extensive granite quarries, employing at least 200 men. Lead and copper have been found, but are not worked. In the district are several springs, some of which are medicinal. The parish is in the presbytery of Wigton, and synod of Galloway, in the patronage of the crown and Macculloch of Barholm. The minister's stipend is £305. The parish church is a modern and commodious structure situated near Creetown, where also the United Presbyterians have a church. There are several schools. The ruins of the ancient parish church are still to be seen. In 1636 nearly the whole of the ancient parish of Kirkdale was annexed to this parish. Cassencarrie, Barholm House, Hill House, and Kirkdale House are the chief seats. In this parish is a kistaven, or "holy cairn," the burial-place of King "Galdus;" also two quadrangular towers and a Druid circle. Dr. T. Brown, the philosopher, was a native of this place."
"PALNURE, a hamlet in the parish of Kirkmabreck, county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 3 miles S.E. of Newton Stewart. It is a station on the Portpatrick railway. It is situated near the bridge over the river Cree."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use