KIRKPATRICK DURHAM, Kirkcudbrightshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"KIRKPATRICK DURHAM, a parish in county Kirkcudbright, Scotland. It comprises the villages of Bridge-of-Urr and Kirkpatrick Durham, the latter being 6 miles N.N.E. of Castle Douglas, its post town. It is 9 miles in length by 3½ in breadth, and lies along the eastern ride of the river Urr. The surface of the northern district, save a few arable patches, is wholly covered with heath, and appropriated as pasturage for black cattle and sheep. The district is chiefly distinguished for its abundance of game. The southern portion is mostly enclosed arable, and produces good crops. The parish is in the presbytery and synod of Dumfries, in the patronage of the crown. The minister's stipend is £289. The parish church was built in 1748. Here are a Free church and three parochial schools. The parish derives its name from the old church dedicated to St. Patrick, at Durham, employment to many inhabitants of the village, but it has been removed. Races formerly took place here. An annual fair is held in March."
"CROCKETFORD, a village in the parishes of Kirkpatrick-Durham and Urr, in the county of Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 6 miles N.E. of Castle-Douglas. It is situated on the river Urr, surrounded by heath and moor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use