LOCHRUTTON, Kirkcudbrightshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"LOCHRUTTON, a parish in the county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 5 miles S.W. of Dumfries. It includes the village of Lochfort. The size of the parish is 4 miles by 3, and contains about 8,800 acres, the greater proportion of which are under tillage. The surface is hilly, and the soil is a light loam. The parish takes its name from Lochrutton, which is situated almost in its centre. Merkland well is strongly chalybeate. The parish is in the presbytery and synod of Dumfries. The church was erected in 1819. There are ruins of several peel-houses, and also a Druidical circle."
"LOCHFOOT, a village in the parish of Lochrutton, county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 5 miles S.W. of Dumfries. It is situated on Loch Rutton."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use