"AUCHENFAD, a village in the county of Kirkcudbright, Scotland, not far from the village of Auchincairn. It is situated near the coast of the Solway Frith."
"CREETOWN, a burgh of barony in the district and county of Kirkcudbright, Scotland. It stands at the mouth of the Cree at its junction with Wigton Bay, in the parish of Kirkmabreck. The present town was founded in 1785, but includes some old houses belonging to the more ancient town of Creth, which at that date was almost extinct. It is beautifully situated between two small streams, much of the ground being occupied by gardens. It contains a townhall, and was made a burgh of barony in 1792; it is governed by a bailie and 4 councillors, who are elected every three years. The parish church is in the neighbourhood, and in the town is an United Presbyterian church."
"CRIFFEL, (or Crowfell), a mountain in the county of Kirkcudbright, Scotland, near Southerness. It is above 1,800 feet high, and commands a view of the Solway."
"CROGO, a village in the barony of Balmaclellan, in the county of Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 9 miles W. of New Galloway."
"DOON, a river, and a lake from which the river flows, partly in the county of Kirkcudbright, and partly in the county of Ayr, Scotland. The waters of the lake, which sometimes used to flood the lowlands bordering the river, are now under control, having been lowered by two tunnels cut in the rock, and also by the erection of sluices. The river, the "banks and braes "of which have been rendered classic by Burns, flows between banks of great beauty, and during the whole of its course through the county of Ayr forms the boundary between the districts of Carrick and Kyle."
"ENOCH, a loch in the county Kirkcudbright, Scotland 14 miles W.N.W. of New Galloway. In this loch the river Doon takes its rise."
"FLEET, a river, rises near Cairns Muir, county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, in two heads, called Great and Little Fleet, and runs 10 miles S., past Gatehouse, to which it is navigable, to a creek in Wigton Bay. Another stream of the same name runs into the Trent at Girton, county Notts."
"GLENKENS, the N. district of the county of Kirkcudbright, Scotland. The river Glen, which gives its name to the district, traverses its entire length. It contains the parishes of Balmaclellan, Carsephairn, Dalry, and Kells."
"GLENLOCHER, a post-office station, county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 3 miles N.W. of Castle Douglas, to which town it is subordinate."
"KEN, a river giving name to the district of Glenkens, through which it passes, county Kirkcudbright, Scotland. Its source is between the hills of Blacklarg and Longrig, on the borders of Ayrshire. Its course lies principally between the parishes of Carsphairn and Kells, and between Dalry, Balmaclellan, and Parton. It falls into the Dee at the S. end of Kells parish."
"KINDER, a loch near New Abbey, county Kirkcudbright, Scotland. It is situated under Criffel."
"KIRKCUDBRIGHT, a royal burgh, seaport, market town, and county town of county Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland, 10 miles S.W. of Castle-Douglas, 28 S.W. of Dumfries, and 101 S.S.W. of Edinburgh. It occupies a peninsular situation on the E. of the river Dee, about 6 miles from the confluence of that river with the Solway Frith. It is a railway station on the Glasgow and South-Western railway. It has been materially improved of late, and at the present day presents an aspect remarkably pleasing. The town is regularly built, and is kept clean and neat. It consists chiefly of six or seven distinct streets, crossing each other at right angles. The houses are well built, and bespeak the taste and easy circumstances of the inhabitants. The town was supplied with spring water by leaden pipes so early as 1764, and it is well lighted with gas. The new stewartry buildings and gaol form a remarkably handsome building near the centre of the town. The ancient gaol and court-house were left standing, near the old market cross. In the centre of a beautiful plantation stands the Established church, which is a modern stone structure with a tower and spire of considerable height. Not far from this church are the ruins of the ancient castle of Kirkcudbright, built in 1582 by M'Clellan, ancestor of the lords Kirkcudbright. There are places of worship in connection with the United Presbyterians and Free Church. The academy, or grammar school, is a handsome edifice. The Johnstone's free school, for the tuition of both sexes, is a stone structure with a tower. The Countess of Selkirk's school is held in a portion of the ancient church. The chief inns are the King's Arms, Selkirk Arms, and the Commercial. The Bank of Scotland and the National Bank of Scotland have branch offices in the town. Here are 13 insurance agencies, also reading-rooms, literary institutions, and several religious and charitable institutions. Provisions are comparatively cheap. The manufacture of cotton goods and hosiery is carried on to a limited extent. The harbour is the best in the stewartry; at ordinary spring tides the depth of water is 30 feet, and at the lowest neap tides 18 feet. The river is navigable 2 miles above the town to the bridge of Tongland. As yet there is no bridge at this town over the Dee, and communication is maintained across the river by means of a chain ferry boat. The commerce of Kirkcudbright is small, the chief imports consisting of coal and lime, and the exports of potatoes, oats, and barley. There is regular steam communication with Glasgow, Liverpool, and Whitehaven. The port has 20 vessels belonging to it of an aggregate tonnage of 1,144. During the domination of the Douglases in Galloway, Kirkcudbright became a burgh of regality under their influence. On their forfeiture James II. erected the town into a royal burgh in 1455, which grant was renewed and confirmed by Charles I. in 1633. The burgh is still governed under this chapter by a provost, two bailies, and 13 councillors, with a treasurer and chamberlain. The corporation revenue amounts to £1,044, almost the whole of which is derived from burgh property. It unites with Dumfries, Annan, Lochmaben, and Sanquhar, in sending one member to parliament. The population of the parliamentary burgh in 1861 was 2,638. Quarter sessions are held on the first Tuesdays of March, May, and August, and on the last Tuesday of October. Stewards and commissary courts are held on Thursdays and Fridays, also small-debt courts. Friday is market day. Fairs are held on the 12th August and 29th September, or on the Fridays following."
"LITTLE ROSS, an islet in Kirkcudbright Bay, county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 5½ miles S.W. of Kirkcudbright. It is situated near the headland called Great Ross, and has a lighthouse, put up in 1844, and visible for 18 miles at sea."
"LOCHINVAR, a loch in county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 5 miles N.E. of New Galloway. It is nearly 3 miles in circumference, and has on its bank an old seat of the Gordon, Viscounts Kenmur who take from this place the title of baron."
"NEWLAW, a hill in county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 5 miles S.E. of Kirkcudbright. It commands a magnificent view as far as the Isle of Man and the Mourne mountains."
"PALKILL WATER, a feeder of the river Cree, rises in county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, and joins the Cree near Newton Stewart."
"PILNOUR WATER, a stream of the county of Kirkcudbright, Scotland. It rises near New Bridge of Dee, and falls into the river Cree."
"RAEBERRY CASTLE, an ancient stronghold on the shore of the Solway Frith, county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 4 miles S. of Kirkcudbright."
"RONA, (or Roan), a loch in the county of Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 5 miles N. of Castle Douglas."
"SHIRMIRS, a stream of the county of Kirkcudbright, Scotland, falls into Loch Ken."
"ST. MARY'S ISLE, the seat of the Earl of Selkirk, county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, near Kirkcudbright."
"TROSTRIE, a small loch in county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 5 miles N.W. of Kirkcudbright."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]