PARTON, Kirkcudbrightshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"PARTON, a parish in the county of Kirkcudbright, Scotland. It comprises a village of the same name, also that of Corsock. It extends about 7 miles in length from W. to E., with an extreme breadth of about 5 miles. It is bounded by the parishes of Balmaclellan, Kirkpatrick, Durham, Crossmichael, Balmaghie, and Kells. The surface is hilly; but no part attains any great attitude. From Cruchie-Height, which lies to the W., there is a prospect over the valleys of the Ken and Dee. In the N. it is traversed for about 4 miles by Mochrumfell, an extensive ridge. A great portion of the land is in pasture. The soil of the arable parts is chiefly of a light character; the surface is diversified by seven or eight small lochs abounding with fish. The parish is traversed along its western border by the road from Castle-Douglas to Ayr, and along its north-eastern border by the road from New Galloway to Dumfries. The village of Parton is about 6 miles N.W. of Castle-Douglas. It is situated between Loch Ken and the river Urr, and is a station on the Portpatrick section of the Glasgow and South-Western railway. In the vicinity are a cairn 120 yards in circumference, several Druidical stones, also two moot hills 120 and 240 yards round. This parish is in the presb of Kirkcudbright, and synod of Galloway. The minister has a stipend of £253. The parish church was erected in 1834. There are two parochial schools. At Corsock there is a Free church of recent erection. A mineral spring exists on Little Mochrum farm."
"CORSOCK, a village in the parish of Parton, in the county of Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 8 miles S.E. of New Galloway. It is situated on the river Ure, near Corsock Loch, on the banks of which is Corsock House."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use