"The church is situated as nearly as possible in the centre on the parish, and the manse about a mile to the southeast. To the west, there is a beautiful range of hills, part of which is covered with wood, and part affords excellent pasturage for sheep and cattle. From the top of these hills is seen, in great beauty and splendour, the town of Dumfries, which to the eye of the beholder, lies immediately below....
It extends from east to west about 5 miles, and at an average is about 3 in breadth. Its boundaries are, Holywood on the north; Troqueer on the south and east; Lochrutton on the west; and Kirkpatrick Irongray on the north-west."
Rev. George Heron, Minister, New Statistical Account, Blackwood.
The Church Yard of Terregles has had pre-1855 monumental inscriptions transcribed and indexed. The index and transcribed inscriptions are included in a series of volumes that cover all of Kirkcudbrightshire. Terregles is in volume 7. Refer to the county page for additional details.
Church of Scotland records are held at the General Register Office in Edinburgh. Copies of the pairsh register on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Refer to the county page for additional details.
Church of Scotland
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Terregles which are provided by: