[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"TERREGLES, a parish in the county of Kirkcudbright, Scotland. It extends in length about 4¾ miles from N.E. to S.W., with an extreme breadth of 2¾ miles, and is bounded by Dumfriesshire and by Troqueer, Lochrutton, and Kirkpatrick Irongray. The surface, with the exception of a range of heights in the W., is low. The uplands are partly clothed with wood, and partly in pasture. The parish is situated at the confluence of the rivers Cluden and Nith, and contains Newbridge, with the ruins of Lincluden College, founded by Malcolm IV. for Black nuns, and Moscrops, the old seat of the Earls of Nithsdale, through the Lords Berries. This parish is in the presbytery and synod of Dumfries. The stipend of the minister is about £158. The parish church was erected in 1799. There is a parochial school. Terregles House is the principal residence."
"NEWBRIDGE, a village in the parish of Terregles, county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 5 miles W. of Dumfries. It is situated near the river Nith."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]