[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"TONGLAND, a parish in the west of county Kirkcudbright, Scotland. It comprises the village of Ringford, and the ancient parish of St. Michael's, Balnacross. It is of triangular form, and is bounded on the N. by Balmaghie, on the S.E. by the Dee, and on the S.W. by Twynholm. The surface towards the N. is rocky and moorland, with two iron springs. Bargatton Loch, a triangular sheet of water, lies on the N. Queen Mary rested on Queen's Hill, after her defeat at Langside in 1568. On Kirkconnel moor is a martyr's stone, also cairns and other remains in the vicinity. The village of Tongland, which is about 3 miles N. of Kirkcudbright, stands at the confluence of the rivers Tarf and Dee. It is intersected northward by the road from Kirkcudbright to the Glenkens and Ayrshire, and westward by that from Dumfries to Wigton. This parish is in the presbytery of Kirkcudbright and synod of Galloway, and in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is about £158. The parish church, erected in 1813, stands on the tongue of land between the river, and near the ruins of a Premonstratensian priory, founded in the 12th century by the lords of Galloway. There are besides a Free church, a parochial school, and other schools."
"RINGFORD, a village in the parish of Tongland, county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 3 miles N. of Kirkcudbright, near the confluence of the rivers Tarff and Dee."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]