Link to maps of Troqueer

TROQUEER, Kirkcudbrightshire

"The name of the parish was written Troquire in the records of the kirk-session....

It comprises a space of 8 miles in length, and 5 miles in breadth; and has for its boundaries, Terregles on the north; New Abbey on the south; Lochrutton on the west; and the river Nith on the east....

The parish may be said to be divided into three distinct parts by three ranges of elevations....

The first range, which rises with a gradual acclivity from the river has long been in cultivation....

As it lies within the burgh-roods of Maxwelltown and contains a large portion of Maxwelltown....

The second elevation, which rises to a greater height than the first, and extends considerably father to the south, and is likewise under the plough, and yeilds crops of turnips and potatoes, hay and oats, wheat and barley of the best quality....

Maxwelltown, About twenty-one years ago it was errected into burgh of barony....

It stands opposite to the burgh of Dumfries, with which it is connected by two bridges. It stands on a bank or ridge circling along the edge of the river; and with its burrow-roods comprises a space of nearly a mile in length, and a half a mile in breadeth."

Rev. William Thorburn, Minister, New Statistical Account, Blackwood.

Click on the map at the right to access more maps of Troqueer.



Bibliography

History, Kirkcudbright. The New Statistical Account of Scotland, 2nd Series, W Blackwood, 1845.

Cemeteries

The Church Yard of Troqueer has had pre-1855 monumental inscriptions transcribed and indexed. The index and transcribed inscriptions are included in a series of volumes that cover all of Kirkcudbrightshire. Troqueer is in volume 7. Refer to the county page for additional details.

Church History

"The church and the manse are situated within the burrow-roods of Maxwelltown, at a distance of a mile from the most crowded part of the population....

A chapel of ease was lately built in the centre of the burgh..."

Rev. William Thorburn, Minister, New Statistical Account, Blackwood.

Church Records

Church of Scotland records are held at the General Register Office in Edinburgh. Copies of the pairsh register on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Refer to the county page for additional details.

Records Available Baptism Marriage Burial Reference
Church of Scotland 1690-1854 1698, 1718-1723
1747-1748, 1754-1819
1837-1843
1764-1783
1821-1847
OPR 882
Free Church CH3 457

The Maxwelltown Free Church records contain minutes, scroll minutes, and manager minutes prior to 1855.

Kirk Session Notes: The Kirk Session records for the parish start in 1698 (CH2 1036) Refer to the county page for additional details.

Gazetteers

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)

[Page created originally by Don Jaggi]
[Last major update 22 November 1997 - Don Jaggi]
[Updated 14 Dec 2010 - 09:52 by Mel Lockie]
[Last updated Sun 17 Nov 2013 - 00:56 by Chris Willis]