[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"TWYNHOLM, a parish county Kirkcudbright, Scotland, comprising a village of its own name. The parish extends in length about 9¾ miles, with an extreme breadth of about 2 miles, and is bounded on the N. by Balmaghie, on the E. by Tongland, on the S.E. by the river and estuary of the Dee, which separates it from Kirkcudbright, on the S. by Borgue, and on the W. by Borgue and Girthon. The surface is undulating, and is watered by the streams Whinnion, Glengape, and Trostie, abounding in fish. The prevailing rocks are whinstone and granite. In the vicinity are the ruins of Campston Castle, two duns, five moats, and the gallows hill. There are flax and woollen mills. The parish is traversed by the road from Dumfries to Port Patrick, and is within easy access of the Galloway railways. The village of Twynholm, which is about 3 miles N. of Kirkcudbright, and 6 S.E. of Gatehurst, is situated in a glen at the confluence of the rivers Tarf and Dee, near the head of Kirkcudbright Bay. This parish is in the presb of Kirkcudbright and synod of Galloway. The stipend of the minister is about £242. The parish church was erected in 1818. There are a parochial school and two other schools."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]