[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ARNGASK, a parish chiefly in the Cupar district of the county of Fife, partly also in the county of Perth and county Kinross, Scotland, 5 miles to the N. of Kinross, its post town. It is situated on the Farg Water, at the eastern extremity of the Ochill hills, and contains the villages of Damhead and Duncrivie. The predominant rock in the district is trap, and the soil is of various kinds, much of it good. The living, value £179, is in the presbytery of Perth, and in the patronage of Mrs. Wardlaw and the Laird of Fordels. The ancient church of Arngask was given to the monastery of Cambuskenneth in the year 1281. It remained in connection with that establishment till 1606, when the abbacy was made a temporal lordship, and this church and many others were declared the parish kirks of their localities. It contains also a Free church and an endowed school."
"DAMHEAD, a village in the parish of Arngask, partly in the county of Kinross, and partly in that of Fife, Scotland. It is situated in a vale of the Ochil hills, at the meeting point of the county of Perth with the two counties mentioned above. It is traversed by the road from Edinburgh to Perth. Fairs are held here in April, May, August, and October."
"DUNCRIVIE, a village in the parish of Arngask, in the county of Kinross, Scotland."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]