"ARNGASK, a parish chiefly in the Cupar district of the county of Fife, partly also in the county of Perth and county Kinross, Scotland, 5 miles to the N. of Kinross, its post town. It is situated on the Farg Water, at the eastern extremity of the Ochill hills, and contains the villages of Damhead and Duncrivie. The predominant rock in the district is trap, and the soil is of various kinds, much of it good. The living, value £179, is in the presbytery of Perth, and in the patronage of Mrs. Wardlaw and the Laird of Fordels. The ancient church of Arngask was given to the monastery of Cambuskenneth in the year 1281. It remained in connection with that establishment till 1606, when the abbacy was made a temporal lordship, and this church and many others were declared the parish kirks of their localities. It contains also a Free church and an endowed school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
"ARNGASK, a parish in the counties of Perth, Kinross, and Fife. Its post-town is Kinross. It is bounded by the parishes of Strathmiglo, Abernethy, Dron, Forgandenny, Forteviot, and Orwell. It has a somewhat circular form, and is about 4 miles in diameter. Its surface is wavingly and roundedly hilly, lying among the Ochils, with summits of from 600 to 800 feet above sea-level, varied and pleasing in appearance, and commanding extensive and beautiful prospects. The landowners who have more than £50 a-year of land-value amount to twenty-eight; and ten of them are resident. There are two small villages, Damhead and Duncrivie; there are four corn-mills and a saw-mill. The little river Farg and the road from Edinburgh to Perth pass through the interior."
From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
Until 15th May 1891, the parish of Arngask was situated partly in the county of Fife, partly in the county of Kinross and partly in the county of Perth. On that date, various changes to the parish and county boundaries were made and from that time the whole parish of Arngask was included in the county of Perth. The following subjects remained in the parish of Arngask but were transferred from the county of Fife to the county of Perth: Arngask Manse, Arngask Mansion House, Damhead, Gallaknowe, Balvaird, Blindwells Farm, Newton of Balcanquhal, Conland Farm, Edenshead, Pitillock Farm, Duncrievie, Glenfarg, Newfargie, Haughs of Newfargie, Letham and Forester's Seat, Muirfield, Summerfield, Old Fargie and Fargie Bank.
"Annals of Arngask"
by James Mackie, published at Arngask in 1953.
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of "Monumental Inscriptions in Kinross-shire".
The parish church (Established Church of Scotland) has records dating from 1688. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
- The transcription of the section for Arngask from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.