"CLEISH, a parish, containing the post-office station of Blairadam, the post-office village of Cleish, and two other villages in Kinross-shire. It is bounded on the north by Fossoway and Kinross parishes; on th east by the parishes of Portmoak and Ballingray; on the south by the parishes of Beath and Dunfermline; and on the west by the parish of Saline. It is of an oblong form, stretching nearly due west from the low heights on the east which divide Kinross-shire from Fifeshire; and is 6 1/2 miles in length, by about 1 in average breadth; and contains about 7 1/2 square miles ... A short distance from the parish-church stood a rock called 'The Lecture stane,' which was used, in the days of popery, as a support for the coffin during the reading of the burial-service at funerals. At the east end of the parish, a stone, inserted in a bridge, bears an inscription indicating the road beneath it to have been that by which Queen Mary fled from Lochleven castle ... Population in 1831, 681; in 1861, 649."
From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
"CLEISH, a parish in the county of Kinross, Scotland. It extends westward from the hills separating Fifeshire from Kinross-shire. It is 7 miles long by 1 broad, and is separated by the Cleish hills (some of which are over 1,000 feet in height) from Dunfermline. Springs and brooks are numerous, and, like the lakes among the hills, are well stocked with fish. Freestone, limestone, and whinstone are abundant. On the summit of Dumglow, at an elevation of 1,200 feet, and on other high eminences, are remains of ancient forts, supposed to be Roman. Near the farm of Gairney Bridge stood the tavern in which the originators of the secession first met. This parish is in the presbytery of Dunfermline, and in the patronage of Young of Cleish. Stipend, £157."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of "Monumental Inscriptions in Kinross-shire".
The parish church (Established Church of Scotland) has records dating from 1700. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
- 460 Cleish (1) - Births 1700-1819
- 460 Cleish (1) - Marriages 1702-1819
- 460 Cleish (1) - Deaths 1745-1811
- 460 Cleish (2) - Births and Marriages 1820-1854 (No Records for 1741-1742)
- 460 Cleish (2) - Deaths 1811-28
Other Church References for Cleish include at the Scottish Record Office;
- Church Records - Ref "CH2 Church of Scotland, 67 Cleish" Kirk Session minutes 1651-1843"
- Church Records - Ref "CH2 Church of Scotland, 67 Cleish" Accounts 1701-1819
- Church Records - Ref "CH2 Church of Scotland, 67 Cleish" Testimonials Received 1701-55
- The transcription of the section for Cleish from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
(Monumental Inscriptions - see Cemeteries)