"FORGANDENNY, a parish in the district of Eastern Perth, county Perth, and county Kinross, Scotland, 4 miles S.S.W. of Perth. Bridge of Earn is its post town. It is a station on the Scottish Central railway. The parish contains the villages of Newton, Ardargie, and Path of Condie. It lies at the foot of the Ochill hills, with the river Earn flowing along the N. boundary, and the May on the N.W. It is otherwise bounded by Dunbarney, Arngask, Forteviot, Dunning, and Orwell. It is 5 miles long and 2 wide. The surface is hilly. The best soil is found in the S., and near the Earn. This parish is in the presbytery of Perth and synod of Perth and Stirling, in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £200. The church is ancient. Here are a Free church and an United Presbyterian church, also the parish school; and at Path of Condie an endowed school has been established. Freeland is the seat of Lord Ruthven, Rossie that of the Oliphants, and Condie of the Oliphants, which families are the principal proprietors. There are traces of a supposed Danish earthwork at Castlelaw, and Roman camps at Ardargie; and in the western portion of the parish, at Dumbruils, are remains of an ancient fortification. Whinstone and limestone are abundant. There is a medicinal spring on the Freeland estate. In Condie Wood have been found the ores of copper, lead, and silver. Ironstone abounds."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland, 1868