"FOSSOWAY and TULLIEBOLE, an united parish, chiefly in Perthshire, but partly in Kinross-shire, compact in form, and lying respectively at the south-eastern and at the western verge of the counties. It contains the post-office station of Fossoway, the post-office village of Blairingone, and the villages of Crook-of-Devon and Gartwhinzean. It is bounded on the north by Dunning; on the east by Orwell and Kinross; on the south by Cleish and Saline; on the west by Clackmannanshire; and on the north-west by Muckhart. Its greatest length is about 11 miles; its greatest breadth about 10 miles ... Population in 1831, 1,576; in 1861, 1,584."
From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
"FOSSOWAY, (and Tulliebole), a parish in the district of Eastern Perth, counties of Kinross and Perth, Scotland, 3 miles S.W. of Kinross, containing the villages of Crook-of-Devon and Gartwhinean, and the post villages of Fossoway and Blairingone. It has Dunning on the N., Orwell and Kinross on the E., Cleish and Saline on the S., and county of Clackmannan on the W. Its length is 15 miles, and its breadth 3 miles. The surface contains a considerable proportion of upland and pasture, and includes part of the Ochill and Cleish hills. The rivers Devon and Gairney, and several smaller streams, effect the drainage; the former has a fine fall at Caldron Linn. This parish is in the presbytery of Auchterarder, and synod of Perth and Stirling. The minister has a stipend of £164. The church was built in 1806. There are a Free church and a chapel-of-ease here, a parish school and three others. Fossoway and Tulliebole were incorporated as one parish in the year 1614, up to which period they were included in the diocese of Dunblane. Tulliebole Castle, of Sir J. W. Moncrieff, Bart., is a fortalice of great strength, built in 1608. Aldie Castle was erected at the commencement of the 16th century; within its grounds are the Carleith round-tower, within which human remains were excavated some years ago, This parish anciently belonged, with the neighbouring district, to the Murray family of Tullibardine, whose mansion stood on a spot now called Palacebrae. Between Pitvar and Gartwhinean is the Monk's Grave. A small pool, called the "Trooper's Dubb," marks the grave of a royal trooper who died from the effects of a drinking match. The Devil's Mill and the Rumbling Bridge on the river Devon are objects of attraction; and the Reformation Clog is preserved at the manse."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of "Monumental Inscriptions in Kinross-shire".
The parish church (Established Church of Scotland) has records dating from 1609. These are held at the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
- 461 Fossoway and Tullibole (1) - Births and marriages 1609-1687
- 461 Fossoway and Tullibole (1) - Deaths 1714-1819
- 461 Fossoway and Tullibole (2) - Births 1693-1819
- 461 Fossoway and Tullibole (2) - Marriages 1691-1819
- 461 Fossoway and Tullibole (3) - Births 1820-1854
- 461 Fossoway and Tullibole (3) - Marriages 1820-1822
- 461 Fossoway and Tullibole (3) - Deaths 1820-184
- Missing Records - Births and Marriages 1634-1670
- Missing Records - Births 1687-1693 and 1695-1696
- Missing Records - Marriages 1687-1691, 1728-1730, 1790-1792 and 1798-1815
- Missing Records - Deaths 1727-1745, 1779-1781 and 1790-1815
Other Church References for Fossoway and Tullibole included at the National Records of Scotland ;
- Church Records - Ref "CH2 Church of Scotland, 163 Fossoway" Kirk Session minutes 1706-1898"
- Church Records - Ref "CH2 Church of Scotland, 163 Fossoway" Accounts 1792-1853
- The transcription of the section for Fossoway from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.