"In Orwell parish, a market town, one and a half miles north of Kinross."
[Clackmannan and Kinross by J.P.Day B.A. B Sc., 1915]
Milnathort is the largest settlement in Orwell parish. Orwell itself was a settlement further to east on the north shores of Loch Leven. The parish church moved to Milnathort in 1729.
A mile and a half north of Kinross, Milnathort grew as a market town at the crossing of two roads. The roads became turnpikes in the 19th century and the market town started to grow as a weaving community. Both wool and linen were woven here, flax being widely grown in Kinross-shire until the early 1900s.
For more on Milnathort see the Edinburgh University Scottish Gazetteer.
Milnathort is in Orwell parish.