Link to maps of Scotlandwell

SCOTLANDWELL, Kinrossshire

"An ancient village in Portmoak parish at the southern foot of the Bishop Hill. The name was taken from the 'Fontes Scotiae,' famous springs, one of which, now protected by a wooden structure, rises just to the west of the main street. In 1238 William Malvoism, Bishop of St. Andrews, founded a hospital for the Mathurin or Red Friars, on the site now marked by the old burial-ground at the south-east extremity of the village."

[Clackmannan and Kinross by J.P.Day B.A. B Sc., 1915]

A hoard of Roman coins were found here in the River Leven in 1851.

Gravestones mark the burial place of Ebenezer Erskine and his family, a founder of the Secession Church, who was minister at Portmoak Parish. The Secession Movement for freedom in worship, spread all over Scotland and by 1765 there were 100,000 members.

Scotlandwell is in Portmoak parish.

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)