"par. and town, on E. border of Lanarkshire, 1¾ mile NE. of Symington junc., and 15 miles SE. of Lanark by rail, 7272 ac., pop. 2128; town, pop. 1556; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks. Market-day, Thursday."
From John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887
The 48-page book "Old Biggar" contains some detail of the town in days gone by and includes over 50 old photographs.
A description of "Families of Wanlockhead" by by H Gilbert Nicol, including a list of the main family surnames mentioned.
Dates of Old Parish Registers
The parish kirk, dating back to 1545, is the last pre-reformation church in Scotland and is constructed in the shape of a cross. The Church was built by the Flemings of Boghall Castle.
- Churches in Biggar:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Biggar area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Biggar has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
There is evidence of Stone Age habitation around Biggar. The town itself received its Royal Charter as a Burgh in 1451.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
Year Population 1831 ---- 1841 ---- 1851 ---- 1861 ---- 1871 ---- 1881 ---- 1891 ----