"BLANTYRE, par. and two vils., NW. Lanarksh., 3 miles NW. of Hamilton, 3954 ac., pop. 9760; contains fragment of a priory of 13th century. High Blantyre, vil. with ry. sta., is 3 miles W. by N. of Hamilton, pop. 1849; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank."
From John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887
Stenlake Publishing have published the book "Old Blantyre" by Rhona Wilson.
Dates of Old Parish Registers
- Churches in Blantyre:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Blantyre area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
Search for Blantyre at Gazetteer for Scotland.GENUKI Gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Blantyre to another place.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Blantyre has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
Take a look at Blantyre'sAin Website for both history and news of today from the Blantyre area.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
Year Population 1831 ---- 1841 ---- 1851 ---- 1861 ---- 1871 ---- 1881 ---- 1891 ----