"A village and a parish in the Middle Ward of Lanarkshire". "The village, now incorporated in WISHAW police burgh, stands 1 mile WSW of Newmains station and 1½ miles NE of Wishaw station; contains a masonic hall, the parish church, a Free church and a public school; and has fairs of the second Thursday of May and the fourth Thursday of October."
"The parish contains also the towns and villages of Wishaw, Newmains, Overtown, Coltness Iron-works, Clydesdale-Rows, Chapel, Stane, Morningside, Waterloo, Bonkle, and part of Shotts Iron-works."
"The tract along the Clyde is low and level, consisting of beautiful fertile haughs, and sinking to less than 100 feet above sea-level; the surface thence has a general eastward rise, attaining .......... 950 (feet) on Auchterhead Muir."
"The central parts, though naturally rich in aspect, are disfigured by mining operations, mineral works, and coal traffic."
(Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland 1884)
"Cambusnethan, par. and vil. (part of Wishaw), N. Lanarkshire, 1½ mile NE. of Wishaw ry. sta.-- par., 16,608 ac., pop. 20,823; vil., pop. 1829. The par. contains Wishaw, Newmains, Overtown, Coltness Ironworks, part of Shotts Ironworks, and other 00064 LKS:vils. engaged in the iron trade. Near the Clyde, and 1¼ mile SW. of Wishaw ry. sta., is C. House."From John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887
Dates of Old Parish Registers
"The parish church, with 1082 sittings, is a plain Gothic structure, built in 1839 and enlarged in 1875;"
"From the church at the village, one can see no fewer than 15 other parish churches."
"The ancient parish church stood in a very romantic spot, ..... at the SW point of the parish; seems to have been built at a very remote period for the accomodation of the family occupying the original mansion of Cambusnethan; ....."
"Another old place of worship .... stood towards the centre of the parish, at a place still called Chapel; and a third, where the famous Covenanting ministers Cameron and Renwick preached, stood at Darmead Linn, in the extreme NE."
"Cambusnethan is now in the presbytery of Hamilton and the synod of Glasgow and Ayr."
(Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland 1884)
- Churches in Cambusnethan:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Cambusnethan area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Cambusnethan has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
"Coal, worked in many places and to a vast amount, is exported E & W by all the railways. Blackband ironstone is found on the estates of Coltness and Allanton, and in the neighbourhood of Headlesscross; and supplies blast-furnaces of the Shotts Iron Company at Stane. Clay of excellent quality, in deposits generally 10 feet thick, abounds, and is used for very extensive tile-works at Wishaw and at Coltness."
"Cambusnethan House stands near the Clyde, amid charming grounds, at the ravine of Hall Gill, 1-¼ mile SW of Wishaw station. Built in 1819, after designs by Gillespie Graham, it is an elegant Gothic edefice in imitation of a priory, and is the seat of Major-Gen. Graeme Alex. Lockart (b. 1820; sec. 1873). Other chief mansions are Wishaw House, Coltness, Allanton, and Muirhouse."
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
"The public school, with accomodation for 389 children had (1880) an average attendance of 370, and a grant of £371 15s."
There are 13 schools, viz - 5 at Wishaw, and others at Berryhill, Cambusnethan, Morningside, Waterloo, Coltness Iron Company (Overtown), Coltness Iron Works (Newmains), Overtown and Newmains."
Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland 1884