"CARLUKE, town and par. with ry. sta., mid. Lanarkshire, 5½ miles NW. of Lanark and 19¼ miles SE. of Glasgow -- par., 15,345 ac., pop. 8552; town, pop. 3867; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks; is a neat, well-built place, and the centre of business for a considerable extent of surrounding country. Coal, ironstone, limestone, sandstone, abound in the neighbourhood, and are extensively worked."
From John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887