"Carmunnock, a village and a parish on the Renfrewshire border of Lanarkshire. The village, 1½ mile NE of Busby station and 5 miles S by E of Glasgow, is a pleasant little place, inhabited chiefly by hand-loom weavers, with several shops, and a post office under Glasgow. Pop. (1861) 360, (1871) 376, (1881) 486. Bounded N by Cathcart and Rutherglen, NE and E by Cambuslang, S by East Kilbride, and W by Renfrewshire, the parish has an extreme length from E to W of 3½ miles, an extreme breadth of 2¾ miles, and an area of 3490 acres, of which 11 are water. ...
... The White Cart Water traces the western boundary; and the Kittoch rivulet runs in the interior. The surface is charmingly diversified with hill and dale, sinking in the W to 100 feet above sea-level, and rising eastward and south-eastward to 462 feet near Windlaw, 413 near Millfarm, 671 on Cathkin Braes, 552 near Parklee, and 691 in the SE corner of the parish-heights that command one of the widest and richest prospects in the W of Scotland. Trap is the prevailing rock; but limestone and ironstone, both of prime quality, are found. The soil, for the most part, is either a free earthy mould, incumbent on trap, or a stiff clay or argillaceous earth on a retentive bottom. About 3000 acres are arable, and some 350 are under wood, 86 acres of mixed plantations having been formed on the Castlemilk estate during 1860-62, as described in Trans. Highl. and Ag. Soc. (1871). Castlemilk House, 1½ mile S of Rutherglen, is a stately old mansion, with massive battlemented walls; its owner, Capt. Jas. Stirling-Stuart (b. 1825), a lineal descendant of the royal house, holds 2137 acres in the shire, valued at £3260 per annum. Queen Mary is said to have lodged at Castlemilk the night before the battle of Langside (13 May 1568). Carmunnock is in the presbytery of Glasgow and synod of Glasgow and Ayr, and includes, quoad sacra, a small portion of Cathcart; the living is worth £212. The parish church, standing in the middle of the village, was built in 1767, and contains 470 sittings; and a public school, with accommodation for 120 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 109, and a grant of £105,5s. Valuation (1881) £7599, 9s. 8d. Pop. (1801) 700, (1831) 692, (1861) 734, (1871) 702, (1881) 721.--Ord. Sur., shs. 22,23,30,31, 1865-67. "
From F.H. Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882-4
The Museum of Rural Life is located at Kittochside.
Kirk Life in Old Carmunnock (1177 to mid-19th century)
by Henry Hutchison
published by the Kirk Session of Carmunnock Parish Church 1978
Carmunnock Church 1854-1947
by Dr Henry Hutchison (1979)
The Incomplete History of Castlemilk
by the Castlemilk Local History Group with Catriona Burness
published by the Workers Educational Association 1993
ISBN 1 870140 15 X
available from Alison Miller, WEA, St. Margaret Mary's Secondary School, 65 Dougrie Road, Castlemilk, GLASGOW G45 9NJ
The Story of Carmunnock
by Mrs B W H Herbert, Carmunnock Preservation Society
originally published 1989
revised and updated 2000
printed by John McCormick & Co. Ltd December 2000
Pictorial Record of Carmunnock
complied and produced by Douglas Low M.MP.A.
published by the 1977 Silver Jubilee Committee
The Parish church is surrounded by the old village graveyard. Within the structure of the church is a vault where some members of the Stirling-Stewart family (Lairds of Castlemilk) are buried.
On the grapevine, we heard that a booklet had been prepared documenting the burials in this graveyard; we are not, however, aware that this document has received any wide publication. We are given to understand that the burials records are not comprehensive and that many of the old headstones have vanished over the decades, with the evidence of who is buried there probably lost for ever.
More recent burials will have been at Netherton Cemetery and some very recent ones at Phillipshill Cemetery. Cremations take place at the Linn Crematorium.
Dates of Old Parish Registers
Carmunnock is in the presbytery of Glasgow and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. The parish Church, standing in the middle of the village, was built in 1767, and contains 470 sittings.
Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland 1884
For well documented histories of Carmunnock church see bibliography above.
The parish church is surrounded by the old village graveyard.
The church windows include some of the finest examples of stained glass by the Glasgow artist Norman M. MacDougall
- Churches in Carmunnock:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Carmunnock area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Carmunnock has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
1801 700 1831 692 1841 ---- 1851 ---- 1861 734 1871 702 1881 721 1891 703
1801 ---- 1831 ---- 1841 ---- 1851 ---- 1861 360 1871 376 1881 486 1891 302